The best way to experience nature is by mans most original way of travel – by foot.
Our Laugavegur trekking tour is an all inclusive 5 days / 4 nights guided trek, through one of Europe’s most exciting and fascinating landscapes. Full board, overnight stay in the mountain huts, an experienced Icelandic trekking guide, along with transportation of luggage – which means you only have to carry what you need for each day.
The hike starts at Landmannalaugar, an area of colorful mountains tinted by rhyolite minerals, and it ends in Þórsmörk, a fascinating destination with a series of deep valleys, crisscrossed by numerous fast flowing rivers and glaciers on three sides.
– Full board 1st day lunch till 5th day lunch
– Sleeping bag accommodation in mountain huts
– Luggage transport between huts
– English or German speaking trekking guide
– Transfer from Reykjavík to Landmannalaugar on day 1 (see itinerary)
– Transfer from Þórsmörk to Reykjavík on day on day 5 (see itinerary)
1. Start: 28.06 … Finish: 02.07
2. Start: 05.07 … Finish: 09.07
3. Start: 12.07 … Finish: 16.07
4. Start: 19.07 … Finish: 23.07
5. Start: 26.07 … Finish: 30.07
6. Start: 02.08 … Finish: 06.08
7. Start: 09.08 … Finish: 13.08
8. Start: 16.08 … Finish: 20.08
Equipment necessary for hiking tours:
– Sleeping bag
– Warm underwear (not cotton – wool or transtex)
– Walking socks
– Good, used walking shoes
– Shoes for crossing the rivers (slippers, trainers…)
– Shoes to use during evening in the huts
– Fleece or angora jackets
– Gore-Tex jacket and trousers
– Toilet articles for personal use; sun protection
– Backpack to carry your daily luggage during the walks (2nd pair of clothes, lunch…)
– Walking sticks (is better for your knees and safer when crossing rivers)
– Plaster for blisters and medicine for personal use
Change in reservation: We are very flexible and will help with any alterations or changes you would like to make. If you wish to change your reservation we kindly ask that you send us an email to email@example.com with at least 1 weeks notice and we will take care of it.
Cancellation policy: If you cancel your Laugavegur trekking tour with at least 2 weeks notice we will fully refund your purchase. If you cancel your tour between 1 and 2 weeks prior to departure we will refund 50%.
– The minimum number of participants in each trip is 6 persons, and the maximum is 12.
– Accommodation in Reykjavík is not included.
– We strongly advice travelers to purchase health and accident insurance before the tour.
– Your safety is our primary concern – so we kindly ask you to observe safetravel.is.
– In the unlikely event of a weather storm or other irregularities out of our control, we might be forced to make changes to the itinerary.
Day 1: Reykjavík –> Landmannalaugar (4 hours bus ride)
Hikers are picked up at 7.15 – 7.45 from their accommodation in Reykjavik. We drive to the beautiful rhyolite area Landmannalaugar where we spend the afternoon and take a relaxing walk through the colorful landscape. A black obsidian lava stream forms a magnificent contrast to the green, white, red and yellow hills. Landmannalaugar is one of the few places where it is possible to take a bath in a natural hot pool, surrounded by fascinating landscape. Participants enjoy a meal and an overnight stay at a hut in Landmannalaugar.
Day 2: Landmannalaugar –> Hrafntinnusker –> Álftavatn (24 km hike)
On the first hiking day we start early, as we have a long day ahead of us. Participants only carry the things they need for the day. The first part of the hiking path is slowly ascending unil we reach the hot spring area of Storihver which lies between the yellow, red and black lava. When we have passed Hrafntinnusker we will experience a breathtaking view from the plateau, we will then descend to the hut at lake Alftavatn, where we will enjoy a meal and an overnight stay. Walking time is about 8 hours.
Day 3: Álftavatn –> Emstrur (15 km hike)
Today we will walk over wide and expanse areas of gravel and sand, crossing a few rather cold rivers. While walking we can experience the solitude and vastness of the area. Today’s terrain is rather flat but with a wonderful view of surrounding mountains and glaciers. Walking time is about 6 hours. We overnight and enjoy a meal in the hut at Emstrur.
Day 4: Emstrur –> Þórsmörk Langidalur (15 km hike)
The walk starts east from the hut through a colorful canyon where we will have a great view to the Myrdalsjokull glacier. We cross a bridge over the river Sydri-Emstrua where the trek runs easely along the river Markarfljot. As we get closer to the green valley of Thorsmork we get an understanding of why Iceland is called the land of contrasts. Before reaching Thorsmork we will have to wade the river Thronga. We will stay in a hut in Langidalur that is situated in Thorsmork, there we will enjoy a grilled meal.
Day 5: Þórsmörk –> Reykjavík (4 hours bus ride)
Before leaving Thorsmork we will climb the hill Valahnjukur for a good view over the valley, glaciers and rivers. Hikers have lunch before boarding the bus at Langidalur at 14:30 which takes them to Reykjavik, arrival time is estimated 18:00.